There's a coveted place beyond brand preference. It's called brand insistence. You're there when your brand is perceived to be the only viable solution for the customer’s need. Put another way, the customer does not pursue substitutes if the brand is not available. The brand has established a consideration set of one.
Achieving brand insistence requires overcoming 6 of 7 steps in the ladder of the mind. The consideration set continuum looks like this:
• I would never choose to buy this brand
• I’ve never heard of this brand
• I’ve heard of this brand but don’t know much about it
• Not one of my preferred brands but I’d try it under certain circumstances
• Not one of my preferred brands but from what I’ve heard about it recently I’d like to try it/try it again
• This is one of my preferred ...